There are many fakes floating around eBay and other websites. Many claim to be authentic Louis Vuitton bags but most are actually not. Research the brand and become familiar with what makes a Louis Vuitton so special. An authentic Louis Vuitton bag has the following characteristics:
- Louis Vuitton bags are very expensive. They are made out of expensive materials such as boa, crocodile, lambskin and camel skin. Fakes are made from pleather and vinyl and feel rough and stiff. A real Louis Vuitton is smooth and feels soft. The trim is done is Vachetta and will tan naturally as the bag ages. Most fakes are done in a light tan trim or a fake aged trim that will not change with age.
- Since authentic bags are expensive, if the price seems very low then the handbag probably is not authentic.
- Louis Vuitton stitching is done perfectly. You will not see loose threads or ends on an authentic Louis Vuitton bag.
- Monogram placement is done carefully and is consistent on pieces. It will not be crooked or cut off. It will look the same on each style of bag.
- Louis Vuitton does not discount, have outlets, sell wholesale or have their products in open air markets.
- Tags are never attached to a Louis Vuitton bag. They may come with tags, but they are simply placed in the purse or dust bag.
- If the bag in question is a style that cannot be found on the Louis Vuitton website, then this means that the bag is fake. There are not new styles coming out every season.
- The hardware used on the bag is also an indicator. Fake bags will often have painted gold plastic whereas an authentic will have gold or brass metal hardware.
source from HERE